Ushering in the Future of Sustainable Hydraulics with Biodiesel Hose
Biodiesel fuel is having a major impact on many industries today as attention to environmental concerns and sustainability continues to grow. Made from renewable resources that are abundant in the world, such as soy, vegetable oil, palm oil, animal fat and many other sources, biodiesel fuel is compatible with conventional diesel engines and offers many benefits for application seeking to improve their environmental footprint and adhere to governmental emissions regulations.
In addition to significantly reducing harmful emissions, low percentage blends of biodiesel fuel adds lubricity to ultralow sulfur diesel (UL SD)and can improve engine performance while also replacing tens of millions of barrels of petroleum. In fact, for every gallon of pure B100 biodiesel fuel that is consumed, we are reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 16.12 pounds of contaminants – or by as much as 78 percent. Various studies have estimated that the use of 1 kilogram (kg) of biodiesel fuel leads to the reduction of some 3 kg of carbon dioxide emissions
With benefits come challenges
Though we have a lot to gain from biodiesel fuel, there are some challenges that come along with its implementation for end users. Because of its solvent chemistry, for instance, an increase in heat will begin the degradation of fuel hoses much faster as compared to traditional
diesel fuel and in turn, cause a reduction in hose performance. Unfortunately, a premature crack, leak or burst from degradation caused by high temperatures can lead to a host of major safety and liability issues.
In general, if a fuel hose is consistently exposed to temperatures above 125°Cwith blends of B20 fuel or higher, a significant reduction in hose life can be expected. This is obviously a major
concern for numerous applications that experience high operating temperatures, including trucks and buses, agricultural and construction equipment, and other eco-friendly power systems.
Thankfully, there are a host of new solutions from Eaton that can be utilized with wide operating pressure ranges and temperatures, offering more optimal levels of abrasion resistance, durability, and high-performance transfer capabilities.
Introducing Eaton’s high-performance biodiesel hoses
Because sustainable fuel is being used frequently today, a biodiesel hose is a crucial consideration for applications to combat the “bake out” effect and fill the temperature performance gap. Unlike standard fuel hoses that only last 1-2 years, a reliable biodiesel hose can go well beyond traditional timelines and give users a reliable solution through testing in
both high-percentage biodiesel blend and high-temperature applications.
Eaton’s biodiesel hoses are able to achieve maximum performance with a unique compound of proprietary polymers, specifically engineered to more effectively resist degradation and excel in high-temperature conditions. With its combined features, Eaton’shighperformance biodiesel hose can address a variety of engineering challenges, including:
- Problems with standard rubber hoses that prematurely break or crack when used with biofuels and synthetic lubricants
- Selective catalytic reduction requirements that have raised engine temperatures an average of 25 degrees, significantly reducing the life of engine hoses
- Truck and equipment operators who use different blends of fuel from week to week, which can accelerate the hose degradation process
- Fuel mandates that differ by state and country, making it difficult to standardize equipment production
Finding the right fit
Specifications and testing procedures help ensure the hose is ready for use in both heavy duty engines and transmission oil cooler applications – including synthetic oil use in mobile on- and off-highway vehicles.
To ensure compatibility with biodiesel fuels and performance reliability, users should confirm their biodiesel hose is tested to all major industry specifications, including ASTM D380, ASTM D6751, EN412 and EN2240. A high-performance biodiesel hose will also typically incorporate testing beyond standard industry specifications to demonstrate the true life of the product and can provide test summaries for material properties, elongation, hardness, tensile strength, volume change, hot fuel circulation and permeation in accordance with customer requirements.
Unlike conventional hoses that deteriorate at 100°C, high-performance biodiesel hoses like Eaton’s GH100 and GH101 solutions can perform in temperatures ranging from -40°C to 150°C with B2, B5 and B20 fuels, and -40°C to 125°C with pure B100 fuels. With a high-performance
biodiesel hose that is qualified with every blend of biodiesel fuel, users no longer have to worry about rotating between B5, B20 or higher and USLD fuels
When it comes to design options, there are a variety of features users should evaluate in an effort to customize their solution, while also maximizing versatility and ease of installation:
- Weight and flexibility – Choosing an aramid poly-braid reinforcement will provide users with a hose that is durable, yet lightweight and nimble. This makes it easier to install compared to wire-braided hoses as well.
- Choice of hose cover – Only Eaton offers both an abrasion-resistant braided polyester cover or a highly durable rubber cover, depending on the application.
- Multiple fitting options – Eaton high-performance biodiesel hose is compatible with brass, steel and stainless steel, giving users the flexibility to choose the best option for their application and fuel type. For composite crimp connections, contact your Eaton sales representative.
- Range of hose sizes – Eaton biodiesel hoses are available in sizes ranging from -4 to -12. Additional sizes can be produced to meet custom requirements.
Tying it all together
Diesel blends and synthetic oils are important aspects of the emerging sustainable energy movement, which makes the process of choosing compatible fuel hoses all the more important – especially for applications that are impacted by high-temperature environment. With Eaton’s high-performance biodiesel hoses, users don’t need to gamble with a standard selection which can result in safety issues and extra maintenance costs.
By selecting an Eaton high-performance biodiesel hose that has been tested beyond industry specifications, combined with the right connections and hose cover to match application requirements, end users can rest easy knowing their hoses are protected and optimized for peak